Send Us An Email
The mission of the Risk Management Department is to protect the County’s human, financial and physical assets through the identification and analysis of liability and risk exposures inherent in its daily operations.
Risk Management is responsible for insuring the county’s assets, managing claims and promoting safety awareness.
All property, automobile, inland marine, general liability, law enforcement liability, crime, cyber liability, public official’s liability, and workers’ compensation claims are managed in this office.
Risk Management works with all matters involving litigation or potential litigation that may impact the County or it’s employees. Risk Management oversees the county’s loss prevention and workplace safety program to promote the safety and well-being of county employees and the public.
- Increase awareness of safety in all departments and to build a safer environment for its employees and citizens.
- Identify, eliminate, minimize, or control the conditions and practices which cause losses.
- Procure insurance coverage to indemnify and assist with the financial burden of inevitable loss at a reasonable cost.
- Provide excellent customer service to county departments and claimants to provide a timely resolution of all reported claims.
- Develop, implement, and enhance programs to incorporate safety and risk management concepts into the culture of Cherokee County.
- Reduce the frequency and severity of claims filed by utilizing risk assessments, trends, and benchmarking data to establish measurable goals for claim reduction in all county departments.
- Provide effective workplace safety and accident prevention training programs.
The Risk Management Division procures insurance for County property and facilities, public official, and court bonds, as well as specialty insurance policies for County programs.
The Risk Management Department seeks loss mitigation through intentional controls and intervention. We aggressively pursue loss offsets and avenues of contribution through subrogation, recovery, and salvage disposition. The Division deploys robust claims mitigation techniques to reduce the financial impact of loss to County finances and ultimately, our constituents.
- Contract review for contractual risk transfer language and indemnification opportunities.
- Providing Evidence of Insurance and verification of Insurance Certificates.
- Establishing minimum insurance limits and coverage requirements for solicitations, leases, and a variety of intergovernmental and contracted service agreements.
- The Safety team performs safety inspections, instructional presentations, ergonomic site assessments, causation verification investigations and recommends engineering controls in the interest of employee safety and safe work environments.
- Develop and encourage risk ownership through continuous educational outreach to departments, agencies, and Cherokee County program participants.