I Need To...
Tax Payers
Court System
Contact Us


Click through to find:

  • A helpful arrangement of frequently used Cherokee County online resources
  • Commonly requested forms and documents for a variety of departments and agencies
  • Links to other sites and services often used by our residents


Click through to find:

  • Links to every department and agency under the jurisdiction of the Cherokee County Board of Commissioners
  • Contact information for departments with the name of the department/agency head
  • Links to common agencies not under the jurisdiction of the BOC, but which maintains close ties with us


Click through to find:

  • Information about and links to both the Tax Commissioner and Tax Assessor's Office. (They are very different organizations)
  • Quick links to both the Paying your Taxes online and the Real Estate Search applications.
  • Information about Homestead Exemptions
  • Information about Property Taxes, Millage Rates, and Car Tags


Click through to find:

  • A page listing every judicial and court system in Cherokee County with a brief introduction to what they cover
  • Quick links to Jury Duty Information, Traffic Citation Payments, Court Calendars, Deeds and Records Search, Passport Information, and a lot more


Click through to find:

  • Ways to contact the Cherokee County Board of Commissioners, Department and Agency Heads, and State Agencies and Offices
  • Directions to all County Facilities
  • Quick Link to Finding Your Commissioner
× Home I Need To... Departments Tax Payers Court System Contact Us

Probate Court

Keith Wood
Probate Judge
(678) 493-6160

Back to Probate Court

Forms and Documents

Contact Department

Send Us An Email

Temporary Guardianship

Temporary guardianships petitions are processed in the Probate Court and are governed by O.C.G.A. §§29-2-5 through 29-2-8.

These petitions allow natural parents to place their minor children in the custody of third parties who then act as parents for a temporary period of time.  Because the establishment of a temporary guardianship over a minor child can adversely affect a natural guardian's parental rights, this Court recommends that both the Petitioner and the parents of the minor child seek legal counsel.

The “Temporary Guardianship Packet” may be found under “Forms and Documents.”

Please read the information contained in this packet thoroughly and complete all required forms before contacting this office for an appointment to file the Temporary Guardianship Petition.

Incomplete petitions will not be accepted for filing.

Cherokee County, Georgia "Where Metro Meets the Mountains" | © Cherokee County Board of Commissioners